While thinking about my final outcomes as a whole piece, I began to think about exactly what I was demonstrating and communicating. I had set out to investigate if pattern could be used as a communicative tool. So far the book that I had created documented all of the investigation into the stereotypes of women and how it applied to the pattern. So the book in a nut shell described and demonstrated the information side of the pattern. The animation pushed the boundaries of what pattern could be and added another level of information by allowing the viewer to see the patterns dissected. This communicated and demonstrated ideas around pattern and information together.
I then had the idea to show the patterns as purely patterns, to demonstrate that the patterns I had created were decorative in their nature and appealing as a patterns should be. I thought about creating a poster or wallpaper using all of the patterns from the investigation, however this would have just been a purely visual representation with no real life application. So I decided to make wrapping paper from the patterns as wrapping paper is used to wrap presents and is chosen because of it’s decorative design. Therefore the wrapping paper has a more concrete use and shows the pattern working in an actual scenario.
I decided, as with the animation, to create wrapping papers based on purely the women’s and men’s magazines. I did this because again I just wanted to create a sample to show what could be created rather than using the entire data, as it would have been repetitive and time consuming to make. By merging all of the women’s and all of the men’s together it enabled the reader to see the two categories as a whole while also making the pattern more exciting.
I differentiated between the two categories through the use of stock that I chose for the wrapping paper. I chose a delicate wrapping paper in a light cream for the women’s magazine patterns to create ideas around the feminine, and a darker newsprint for the men’s, something a little rougher to represent the masculine. I think having the two stocks was successful as it adds variation and allows for differentiation.
Another way I created variation was to dissect the patterns, once again resembling the animation. However I did not dissect it
as far as the individual symbols because then the patterns became dominant in white space and less exciting. So I just stripped it back to the orange and the green layers.
This created three variations for each category. I then began to think about how I could display the wrapping papers and decided to compile them into a book
so that they were kept together. By using a perforation the reader can rip out the desired wrapping paper while still leaving the rest as a set to be read.
For the design of the wrapping paper I trialled different scales, however found it worked best, as with the animation, to have a small scale as the repetition created in the large quantities had much more impact than when on a bigger scale.